Kai of deluscar kindly asked me to participate in a project discussing anime and time management. The prompt, as quoted by Kai, describes this as “…a project where everyone can share how [they] manage their time efficiently, juggling between studies, work and anime…” I always find joint projects like this (like the recent Carnival discussing anime rating) a lot of fun since it not only helps me out when I run dry on inspiration, but it also creates a ton of collaboration between writers and readers.
This topic is a bit sore for me since I follow the non-schedule schedule. There is no efficiency involved. I can plan all I want for a healthy, structured day, but I almost never follow through on the idea. That isn’t to say that I don’t want to control my life a bit more; I just let my hobbies and part-time job steamroll the things I really ought to be doing.
On average, five days a week, I work a part-time job in the evening. This can last anywhere between four to six hours. Despite the short hours, I make just enough to cover my rent, bills, and living expenses. The problems in scheduling are the hours all around. Too tired to even consider working on my Master’s thesis after work, I come home and inhale any and all food I can get my hands on, catching up on my anime and blogging until the very late hours of the morning (sometimes as late as 6 o’clock). My nocturnal activities result in a very late wake up, no earlier than noon. My grand plans to write are usually eclipsed by my greater desire to watch even more anime, all the way until the time that I have to get ready for work once more. It’s an addictive and non-productive cycle.
Like anything, watching anime to excess can be quite destructive, as I’ve sadly discovered. Currently, I find more joy in writing about anime than I do in my thesis topic. This is a serious problem for someone who wants nothing more than to finish graduate school and move out of the state in which I’ve lived my whole life! So I’ll take this moment to set out some goals for myself:
- Set a productive daily schedule!
- Wake up at 10:00 AM and have breakfast as soon as possible
- Go work out, mostly cardio, until noon
- Lunch and play with my pup
- Work on my thesis for 2-3 hours
- Part-time job
- Get my butt to sleep no later than 2:00 AM
- Finish my thesis in time for a spring defense and a May 2012 graduation
- Work off some body weight by May, in time for my cousin’s wedding (aim: 130 lbs.)
- Attend my very first con, Anime Expo, in June
- Jump into the adult working life >.<
Yeah. It’s a lot to focus on. Right now, I’ll start with the very first and hopefully that will naturally result in the next two! Lend me your support, okay?
Check out these other participants:
- Kai’s Anime Time Management
- Time Management Ace Style
- Hoshiko’s Anime Time Management
- OG’s Anime Time Management (Pffft)
- Time Management: Between Reality and Anime
- Chronological Record #3 ~ Time Waits for No One
- Yerocha’s Anime Time Management
- hippiefreak’s Extremely Simplistic Time Management Post
- Craft of Balancing Time, An Aniblogger Testament